Candles have been around for centuries and served a mostly functional purpose of providing light for human beings. It is found that in ancient times people from India and Japan were using things like cinnamon to create candles that gave off a lovely aroma. As time went on, candles began to be mass-produced to provide a therapeutic effect through the addition of fragrant oils.
The soothing effect of candles, especially scented candles, comes from both the visual and olfactory aspects of the human experience. The environments we interact in today are filled with artificial light, using mostly fluorescent and LED bulbs, which are known to be harsh and overstimulating. We use this light when we work at our jobs, eat at restaurants, and play at different sports and recreational venues. Candlelight, however, is a very warm-toned light that is much more subtle and soft. This creates a calming effect and is ideal when one wants to relax and calm the senses.
The sense of smell has been documented to affect mood, mental clarity, and stamina. In a study completed by students at Korea’s Kangwon National University, School of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, it was documented that “different fragrances affected spontaneous brain activities and cognitive functions.” Here is a link to the publication if you’re interested in learning more.
Listed below are some of the effects of various aromas uncovered by the study…
- Lavender – relaxes instantly both mind and body
- Clary Sage – lifts mood
- Cinnamon – makes you feel refreshed
- Orange – reduces stress
- Lemon – improves mood
- Apple – controls anxiety
- Peppermint – wakes up your mind and enhances focus
- Frankincense – helps battle anxiety and gives great stress relief
- Sandalwood – relaxes and calms body and mind
- Vanilla – increases happiness levels, uplifts your mood and stimulates feelings of relaxation and joy
At Edgar’s Bath Goods, we carefully select our fragrances and combine them to create candles that invigorate the senses and bring a pleasant fragrance to your environment. Some of the aroma notes in our new Luxury Scented Candles include…
- Edgar’s Signature – Vanilla, Sandalwood, Mimosa
- Lavender Fields – Lavender, Mahogany, Coconut
- Prairie Sunset – Cashmere, Vanilla, Mahogany
- Dewberry – Raspberry, Blueberry, Bay Leaf
You can purchase your Luxury Scented Candles here. And by the way, you will be able to save 20% during our Black Friday Sale, November 23rd – 26th. Buy your candles, lotion, shower gel, and bath bombs on our website: www.edgarsbathgoods.com.